1.7

I was helping my 89-year-old mom place an online order for a pair of slippers. Since I use Ebates, I started there and saw that through Dec. 14, they were offering free shipping plus “40% off everything.” I also did a Google search for online coupons and again found a Coldwater Creek ad stating “40% off everything” and free shipping (see photos).

I went through the work of setting up an account for my mom, selecting the item, and entering payment info. When I entered the code (dream), it deducted the shipping but did not discount the slippers. After trying a second time, I noticed the word “details” (in extremely tiny print ... see photo) in the upper corner of the screen. Upon clicking, I saw that there were several exceptions to “everything” - even though the words “some exclusions apply” never appeared anywhere else. The “exception” that apparently applies is for “shoes and boots” ... and I would definitely make the argument that slippers and shoes are not the same.

Regardless, I feel that “everything” means EVERYTHING. The company is welcome to exclude items, but the “exclusions apply” disclaimer should be clearly attached to each “40% off everything” statement so it is obvious before the order process begins.

I did try to call customer service, but I got nowhere. When the representative refused to do anything to assist me, I asked twice to speak with someone else. His response was “No one else will give you a discount on that item.” Guess this ends my business with this company.

Product or Service Mentioned: Coldwater Creek Customer Care.

Comments

ColdwaterCreekCares
Coldwater Creek Verified Representative

Thank you for your feedback about our sale. We try to ensure we communicate completely with our customers and we are sorry that "exclusions apply" was not as obvious as it could have been.

The "Details" portion of the banner on our Web site did include the appropriate information regarding the exclusions. We appreciate any feedback that will help us and yours certainly will.